America On the Move – 45 million Americans move each year, where are they moving?
Trending states: the top 10 states gaining and losing residents
Top 10 gainers
- New Mexico
Top 10 losers
- New York
Fastest growing city: Houston
Houston, TX is the fastest growing economy in the US and the expanding work force appears to be moving in
Out of State moving
Nearly 18% of moves are across state lines, up from 16% only 8 months ago
Most common state-to-state moves
- California to Texas
- New York to Florida
New movers spend over $7,400 in the first three months after their move, far more than the average consumer
The USPS spends over $1.3 Billion per year processing “undeliverable as addressed” mail. Data quality problems, to which new-movers greatly contribute, cost US businesses $600 Billion each year
From Honolulu, HI to Key West, FL: (4788 miles as the crow flies)
From Lafayette Street, Manhattan, NY to Lafayette Street, Manhattan NY: (15 feet, across the hall)
- Updater aggregate user data from September 1, 2012 through April 30, 2012
- New-mover address date of Updater affiliates
- Site Selection Magazine
- Epsilon Data Management, "'Relocation' An Essential Economic Stimulus." February 2009.
- United States Postal Service, 2011 National Postal Forum Presentation. May 3, 2011.
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Geographical Mobility: 2011." November 15, 2011.
- "Data Quality and the Bottom Line." The Data Warehousing Institute (TDWI). 101 Communications LLC.