Everything You Need To Know About Updater Verified Movers
We know that it can be hard to distinguish a reputable moving company from a scam artist. Therefore, allow us to make it easy for you.
Updater Verified Movers are pre-vetted moving companies that have received Updater's seal of approval. How does a moving company achieve that honor, you ask? Well, in order to become an Updater Verified Mover, moving companies must meet every single piece of our strict criteria...
First and foremost, Updater Verified Movers must be American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) ProMover Certified. The AMSA ProMover program is a designation program that fights scammers and unreliable companies in the industry by recognizing professional moving companies who abide by the following ethical business practices:
- Inform the consumer of their rights and responsibilities
- Keep advertising fair and accurate
- Inform the consumer of liability policies for lost or damaged goods
- Provide estimates of cost
- Abide by the 110% rule*
- Prepare a descriptive inventory of goods to be approved by the consumer before the move
- Determine the shipment weight with a certified scale, and perform reweigh if requested
- Make reasonable efforts to fulfill service agreement, and inform consumer of any changes/delays of service
- Acknowledge loss, damage, or delay claims within 30 days and pay, decline, come to a compromise, or inform consumer of delay in response to claim within 120 days
- Resolve loss, damage, or charge disputes of $10,000 or less through arbitration under the rules of the AMSA Dispute Settlement Program
- Van Lines must provide the AMSA Code of Ethics to their agents, and do their best to ensure that agents are following it
- Have no applicable state or federal felony convictions against its owners, officers or majority stockholders
- Be fully compliant with state incorporation laws
- Be compliant with applicable state and federal laws and AMSA’s Code of Ethics
Next, Updater Verified Movers must be licensed and insured with a DOT Number and be registered with the FMSCA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration).
Updater Verified Movers must also maintain good ratings on the Better Business Bureau, Yelp, and Google reviews.
Last but certainly not least, Updater Verified Movers must provide Updater's suite of easy-to-use moving tools to their customers. Being an Updater Verified Mover means that the moving company does everything in their power to provide the best possible experience to their customers, and, of course, that includes offering Updater!
Not an Updater Verified Mover (but want to be)? Let us know!
* "Shipments will not be held “hostage” and will be released to the customer upon payment of no more than 110% of the non-binding estimate amount, or 100% of the binding estimate amount, plus the full amount of any additional charges for household goods or services that were not included in the estimate that were either requested by the shipper or necessary to accomplish the transportation and delivery of the shipment. The collection of any additional charges will be postponed for 30 days after delivery."